GeoGR is a corporation with the aim to provide and disseminate geographic information services to the economy of the Grisons. Using the Geodata Shop, over 100 data products can be purchased online 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Purchased? Yes, but for free - the Grisons follows an Open Data policy, which is simply great! For more details on GeoGR see the Presentation held at the 25 years TYDAC event (German only).
Reto Conrad, CEO GeoGR Inc.:
The canton of Grisons has shown quite a bit of courage with the decision to outsource the distribution of cantonal spatial data to a private company. The WebGIS solution TYDAC implemented, not only met GeoGR's expectations, it showed that the decision to trust private intiative was the right one. With the technical implementation, TYDAC sets with every release new standards in the industry.
GeoGR - Daily Data Updates
The surveying data on GeoGR is updated daily - for the Shop and for the Web GIS:
- Data of up to 30 municipalities is uploaded daily
- The data is directly delivered by the surveying companies
- An INTERLIS Checker validates the data before upload
- Using FME Server, the data is imported into PostGIS
- After that the tiles for the updated municipalities are calculated (twice, in gray and in color)
- Using the Shop, the data can be downloaded in up to six formats - for free!
In total, up to 100 different data products can be downloaded in different formats:
- Digital elevation
- Forestry and agriculture
- Planning / zoning
- Topographic maps
- Others such as ground water information, streets, hiking trails, endangered areas etc.
- swisstopo data: topography, swissimage, TLM, swissBuildings3D
The terms for swisstopo data are such (unfortunately, not for free as the rest), that their data can only be ordered using special accounts. Users can as well order special products that are not available online. Such orders are processed offline by the responsible department of the canton and uploaded to the shopping cart of the user.
Components and Numbers
The Geodata-Shop has been built using the following components:
- Drupal: Shop, Content Management System, RSS Feeds
- OpenLayers, Web-Services: data preview, geographic selection of the products
- PostGIS: Geo-Database
- FME Server for Batch-Import and Export
In 2015, over 10'000 products have been ordered, with a data volume of 132GB. Using the Web GIS 50'000 Plots have been created. In total there are 4'000 registered users.